More progress has been made on the Wheels of Time lumber loads. After the Rust-Oleum paint that was applied in Part 2 had dried (see this post for more info: https://cwerailroad.blogspot.com/2017/10/wheels-of-time-lumber-load-part-2.html), I applied Dullcote to all of the loads. Once the Dullcote was good and dry, it was time to weather the loads. I used a wash of tube acrylic ivory black with a small amount of burnt umber added. The idea was to tone down the paint slightly and add some depth. I had also hoped the wash would help show some of the grain in the wood. Here's a photo of the completed loads.
The photo below shows a comparison between the weathered portion of the load and the original paint. It also shows how I cheated and weathered only those areas that would show.
The next step was to add color to the ends of the stacks. I used Americana Tuscan Red acrylic craft paint and here's the bottle.
I dipped the end of a small brush into the paint until I had just a little bit of paint on the very end of the bristles. I then wiped the brush on a paper towel before drybrusing the ends. Once the ends were finished, I lightly drybrushed the sides and tops to represent overspray.
Next up, it's time to start final assemble! Stay tuned.