So with all this extra time on my hands these days, I've been working on finishing projects that I've started and stopped at various times. In addition to the ones I've mentioned in previous posts, there is also an ATSF boxcar project that's been in the works for, well, let's just say a long time.
A while back, I came across a photo of an ATSF 40' boxcar that was taken sometime in the late 1970's or early 1980's. The U-1 wheel stencil puts the date at sometime after 1978. It was one of those freight cars that just screamed to be modeled, so I started looking for an appropriate kit. The Intermountain 12 panel 40' boxcar with 6' doors appeared to be very similar, so I grabbed a couple of those kits along with decals for the car. The picture below shows the partially complete kit and the photo.
I removed a rib from the top of each end to more closely match the prototype. I also replaced the kit supplied grab irons on the sides with sections of ladder. Some wire grabs on the ends along with A-Line stirrup steps will complete the modifications.
In addition to the ATSF boxcar, I'm starting a Smokey Mountain Model Works resin kit for a PS 52'6" 70-ton gondola. I purchased two of these from Jim King a number of years ago. This is the first craftsman-type resin kit that I have ever assembled and I'm looking forward to the challenge. The first one will be decorated for the home road and the second will most likely be lettered for the prototype.
In times like these, it's good to have a stash of unbuilt kits and projects to work on!