Engine Terminal

Engine Terminal
CX 351 westbound at Summit Springs. August 1976

Friday, September 2, 2016

End of Summer Update

Well, the Labor Day weekend has arrived and with it the unofficial end of Summer. My wife and I spent most of the past three months in Michigan, and as a result, not much got accomplished on the railroad. However, there were a number of projects in the works that got finished up before we left. Here's an update on some of them.

The new signal at the west end of Nelsonville Yard is now in place and operational. In a previous post, I commented on the need to move this signal from it's original location. Here's a ink to that post: http://cwerailroad.blogspot.com/2016/01/well-that-wont-work.html. The picture below shows the finished signal bridge. 

The deck girder bridges across Clear Creek next to the engine terminal at Nelsonville have been completed. The scenery on either side of the bridges still needs to be finished, but the hard part is finished. The stream was poured using EnviroTex Lite pour-on High Gloss Finish. 

The scenery around the station at Nelsonville has also been finished for the most part. Additional details need to be added such as switch machines, steps to the platform, grade crossing signals, etc. 

And lastly, the two N&W SD35 that were last seen on the workbench in December have been reassembled and weathered. Both units received Tsunami sound decoders. I used artist's oils for the majority of the weathering.

I wasn't please with how the weathering initially turned out on the roofs, so I went back and applied Pan Pastels with a deerfoot brush. I picked up this technique from Mike Confalone in his Weathering Like a Pro video series. If you haven't seen any of these and your interested in weathering, you really need to check these out. They are available from the Model Railroad Hobbyist and here's a link: http://store.mrhmag.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html. I have used Pan Pastels in the past and have never been overly impressed with them. However, Mike's videos show some unique and different ways to use them that produce some really great results. Here's how the roofs turned out.

I did manage to get six of the new Bowser woodchip hopper cars built over the summer and they are now in the paint shop. Several other cars were painted and lettered and are now ready for weathering. A number of other new projects are in the works. While the summer was a blast, it's great to back workin' on the railroad!


  1. Hi Tom,

    Great work as always! Nelsonville is really coming along. Those N&W SD35's also look very nifty. Any chance for additional photos of those units and more about the weathering process? The two different N&W paint schemes as a set of matched units is a nice touch. Also... it is always good to see an interchange modeled.


    1. Gerard,

      Thanks for the kind words. The SD35's were a real challenge as I've never used oils almost exclusively in weathering a diesel. At one point, I thought I had gone way too far with 1521 and would have to repaint it. I stepped away from the project numerous times and went back to study photos. Eventually, after doing the pilots and walkways, I was pleased with the overall effect.



  2. Great job on the N&W SD-35s! I've been looking forward to see what became of them. I think you really nailed them both especially the blue unit. I have a blue N&W SD-9 to weather and that's the exact look I'm hoping to duplicate.

  3. Tom very nice looking layout and unit's.

    One day you might have a detouring Indian Rock freight or coal train come thru your territory