Saturday, December 16, 2017

Photo Fun

As I walked out of the railroad room the other night, I saw DC-15 out of the corner of my eye. The train is in the process of being re-staged at Nelsonville and it looked like it might be a neat photo opportunity. So this morning I grabbed the camera to take a few photos.

The photo below is the shot that I initially thought would be the best. It's a view across the leads to the engine terminal.



























While I like the perspective and the detail in the photo, the train that was supposed to be the focus of the shot is too far away. So I tried another angle.



























This photo keeps most of the detail but brings the loco a little closer. Still, it wasn't quite the shot I wanted. So I changed the angle just a bit and zoomed in a little closer.


























This one is much closer to what I had seen in my minds eye when I first thought of the photo opportunity. But just for kicks, I thought I'd shoot it from a slightly different angle.



























While you can see the locomotive much better with this angle, it just doesn't have the same feel that the others do, at least to me. So I think I'll say that #3 is my favorite. 

5 comments:

  1. Hi Tom,

    I find this series of photographs intriguing and very realistic. The photos replicate railfan photos taken at a rural location where trespassing is prohibited and enforced so one is forced to rely on a telephoto lens while shooting between buildings as you stand on the edge of the property. At the same time you are hoping no one from the railroad comes out and asks you to leave. (Does it sound like I am speaking from experience?) It captures the experience of waiting and capturing a railroad moment.

    For whatever reason most model railroad photos are not staged this way -but perhaps they should be- and I think you are on to something. Nice work.

    A very Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    Gerard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gerard,

      Thanks for the kind words. I always enjoy your insightful comments.

      I hope you have a very Merry Christmas, too!

      Tom

      Delete
  2. I think they are all great shots! Just one of those times your just minding your business or go into the layout to get something and the perfect shot just lines up. Thanks for sharing and have a great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shannon- and Merry Christmas to you, too!

      Tom

      Delete
  3. I like the ground level style and the grittiness of the details in the yard. The different ballast colors and loco sand enhance the realism of the scene

    ReplyDelete